Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Our little girl is one!


Although this news is a bit belated, I wanted to share about Kira's first birthday a little. She had a couple of small celebrations followed by one big one to end a three day birthday party extravaganza in which she consumed several cupcakes and other treats. She really takes after her dad in the sweet loving category.



Susie and the daycare kids traditionally celebrate each of the kids' birthdays and Kira was no exception. This was the kick of party on her actual birthday, July 5th. The kids celebrated with cupcakes that they each decorated and Kira dug right into hers.



Later that evening Sheila (my Sister in-law) arrived from Kansas city with her two kids Kyron and Raylee. Kyron is almost three and Raylee is 3 weeks older than Kira. My parents had picked them up from the airport so the whole gang was over for cake and ice cream. Kira didn't miss out on her second opportunity for a cupcake and devoured it like she knew what she was doing.





Over the next couple of days we were busy preparing for Kira's birthday party in which we were expecting 50-60 guests. Kira was sharing this party with her cousin Raylee since Raylee also just turned one. We were privileged to have all of our family and friends help prepare and set up for the big event.







We were expecting a lot of kids so we had water balloons, a slip and slide, a tent, and our neighbors provided some of their animals for a petting zoo. For food we had shredded bar-b-que turkey sandwiches, chicken wings, hamburgers, and hot dogs.







At a key moment in the party, Kira and Raylee were serenaded by the traditional birthday song while seated in front of their birthday cake and cupcakes before getting their hands on the good stuff. Once again Kira dug right in like a pro while Raylee wasn't so sure about the tasty treat set before her.







For the most part the party went off without a hitch and it seemed like everyone had a good time. Although it turned out well, I don't foresee us having a party of that magnitude anytime in the near future.

2 comments:

Carrie said...

Hey Saunders Family!

Just thought that I'd drop you a line- I was just looking back through my blog and saw your comment from a week ago and thought that I'd say hi to you! I did finish my tri- 9 minutes slower than last year, but I'm not nearly in as good of shape as I was last year. Funny how falling in love can do that to you :). I have another one in about a month and I've trying very hard to get back in shape for that one because it is double all of the distances as the one in June (I'll swim a mile, bike 26 miles, and then attempt to run 6 miles all along the lakeshore downtown Chicago http://www.chicagotriathlon.com/).

I can't believe how big Kira is getting- I love checking your blog and seeing pictures and movies of you guys! I cannot wait until Steve and I are married and start our family- we are so ready, but we have a year until the big day! I hope it goes quick!

Well, anyways I guess I should get back to work!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Kira!!! You're little friend Abigail Ellen Weinberg was born on 8/10/2007 at 4:38 pm. 8 lbs 11 oz, 20.5 inches long. She is healthy and beautiful and hoping to meet you at ONU Homecoming. Tell your old man to check out my MySpace page for some pics!